Monday, March 16, 2009

My Abigail

I HAVE A great sister. She is strong-willed like her father, yet selfless and loving like her mother. I always likened her to Abigail, the wife of King David. If you are yet to read the story of Abigail, you are missing out on one of the greatest gems of the Old Testament. Abigail "was a woman of good understanding and beautiful appearance" just like my sister. What makes Abigail so special was that in her humility, she bowed down before David to avoid him from acting on his anger and killing Nabal. I like to think that Abigail is the strong and emotional woman that appeals to a man's rough and painfully logical mind. By nature, men are more logically oriented and women are more emotionally driven. Men can be harsh, and only a woman's gentle nature can keep him grounded. It is a perfect balance. My sister is no different. She is always there to remind me when I am being cold-hearted and unloving. She steps in before I do something horrible and sinful. and then offers what she has in a most humble way. It is a Blessing to have a Christian influence like her at home. Most people would prefer a family member who is more of a yes-man, "but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” And that is done by having an Abigail at home.