Thursday, April 23, 2009

God is Dwelling in Our Hearts

I'VE BEEN THINKING a lot lately.  Crazy isn't it?  Surely God gave us our minds to think rationally and I don't think anybody would argue that they would rather be without a mind.  The problem is, our mind can get us into trouble if we are not careful.  I am the kind of person that likes to think things over man as much as possible; I tend to dwell on things.  I thank God for this, I believe it makes me a smarter person because my mind is always working.  Unfortunately, a constantly mindful person can also lose focus and begin thinking about lustful desires, or even just overthinking life's decisions.  Also, I tend to begin thinking things over excessively and begin to either doubt my original understanding or try to rationalize a wrong one.  This is often the devil laboring to mess with you.  Be wary. 

The fact is, God resides in our hearts.  Therefore, where does the devil reside?  Well, we know it isn't in our hearts, God is there.  Satan is working through our minds.  Our doubts come from Satan, our desires come from Satan, our rationalizations can even come from Satan.  Our church fathers warn us about the dangers of an unfocused mind, and their solution is prayer.  A prayer that comes from within is without any impure thought and because God is in our hearts, comes from Him.  

Therefore, when we begin overthinking things, we must learn to stop and wonder where these thoughts are coming from.  Are they genuine Godly urges from our hearts, or are they impure thoughts from Satan?  This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the Bible: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

No comments: