Monday, March 9, 2009

Connecticut Moves to Kill First Amendment

THE DOCTRINE CONCERNING the separation of church and state is often misunderstood. I'll reserve my beliefs concerning that for another time but, I must say, the Connecticut legislature missed it by a long-shot. This is what Jack Fowler from the National Review had to say about the new Raised Bill 1098 (click this to view the actual bill):

The Democrat-controlled Judiciary Committee has introduced Raised Bill 1098, a bill aimed specifically at the Catholic Church, which would remove the authority of the bishop and pastor over individual parishes and put a board of laymen in their place. Yes, we’re asking the same questions you are (Where does the legislature have the authority to do this? Isn’t this a blatant violation of the First Amendment?), but we assure you that this is not a hoax.


I assume the Catholics of Connecticut are up in arms (hopefully only figuratively) over this new legislation and are taking action. The Catholic Church has already answered this with a petition of sort. I am also curious to see where this will go, I will keep an eye on it and see if this (appropriately) gets overturn.

1 comment:

Nader Alfie said...

Yes, this is precisely why I favor a healthy separation between Church and State. Keep your State out of my Church!