Saturday, March 14, 2009

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Emptiness

TODAY I VISITED the National Archives and Records Administration with a few friends which houses the Declaration of Independence as well as other important documents instrumental in the development of the United States. Let me go into a little history; Thomas Jefferson who penned the Declaration of Independence included, what he called, the inalienable rights of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This is a phrase borrowed from John Locke, but Jefferson of course substituted "property" for "pursuit of happiness" because not everyone was able to own property in America at that time.

Now, every so often you hear something that is so blatantly offensive that you simply do not know what to do. I recently heard a comment that was offensive in this way and it certainly provoked a sense of curiosity within me. Now, I will admit that I have not completely thought this one through, so I assume a follow-up will be in order when I am more familiar with the topic. The comment made was this; religious happiness is one that is "empty" and, to use the person's own wording, "not real."

Firstly, God did not make us to be happy. This is something that angers many non-Christians. I mean, is not happiness an inalienable right? "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." God made us to glorify Him, and when you know and love Him, the result is joy. I use the word joy for a reason, for joy and happiness are not one in the same. Happiness is something temporary, joy is everlasting. Joy can only be had with God, for everything else is temporary.

St. Paul sums it up perfectly: "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

No comments: