Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tears of Hope

JEREMIAH CRIED OUT: " I am the man that sees poverty, through the rod of His wrath upon me." Affliction is tough to bear, especially when you look around and feel the world is unjust and simply too difficult to endure. I believe this is something many people struggle with, for how can a just God show favor to some and forsake others? It is easy in times of distress to look upon others and feel that you are worse off, but a discerning man understands God's mercies are perfect for us.

Jeremiah lamented, but never lost focus on his hope in the Lord's mercies. This is the difference between a complaint and Jeremiah's lamenting, and that difference is the presence of hope. Knowing the Lord has His plan and that He will never place us in a situation we are not equipped to handle is what helps us triumph above our tribulation.

This reminds me of the story of King Hezekiah. King Hezekiah was sick and near death, and pleaded saying: "O Lord, remember how I walked before You in truth, and with a full heart, and did what was good in Your eyes." Hezekiah then "wept with a great wailing." The Lord then appeared to Isaiah instructing him to pass on the following message to Hezekiah:
Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: 'I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears. Behold, I will heal you, and on the third day you shall go up to the house of the Lord. And I will add to your days fifteen years. I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for My own sake, and for the sake of My servant David.'

The Lord heard Hezekiah's cries and because he did not lose faith, the Lord answered his prayers. This is where we fall short, when we ask God for comfort, are we asking with a genuinely caring and hopeful heart?

There must also be a willingness to accept God's will. St. Paul suffered some sort of infirmity (obviously the specifics are not important whether it was a physical ailment or a spiritual weakness), and pleaded repeatedly with God for mercy. The Lord simply affirmed: "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." God may not fulfill your request, that does mean He is not listening or is dissatisfied with the request. The Lord knows what is best for us, and we must be willing to surrender to His will.

Therefore we must be hopeful in the Lord and learn to submit to His wisdom. Even when it seems the world is unjust, we must hope in the Lord that He will deliver us. Do not be boastful in tears during prayer either, pray with a humble heart. Simply pray with thanksgiving and know that He has a plan and His mercies are infinite. Also, don't be duped with false promises of hope, for the only true hope is in the Lord.

No comments: